Tuesday, August 3, 2010

[fashion] The Countdown: 1990s

Tonight we're gonna party like it's 1999! NOT!!! :)

Now I am, in a way, an expert at 90s fashion. The colors and patterns and the excess of jeans in some way warms my heart. But onto the good stuff!

Fashion LIKES: denim (it wasn't all bad!), crop tops, grunge movement, polo shirts, and THE MAKEUP MAKEUP MAKEUP! Did I mention that I really liked the makeup? I just want to be sure. I am in a desperately frantic frenzy of emotion right now trying to figure out exactly how lipstick was applied in that time. Oh, the faces of these 90s women....gorgeous. OH! And we must not forget the excess of 90s girl power (and the neon Lycra clothing that went with it)!



I had to do it! Check out the last bit of the video for the makeup inspiration. Mayte. Not Prince :)






I tried to limit the amount of pictures I used, but once I started there was no stopping!

Fashion DISLIKES: Trashy pop. Oh wait, that's not fashion. Trashy pop with color-coordinated outfits. Similar to the Pussycat Dolls (but DO NOT confuse with the Spice Girls)! Additional dislikes include the tube top, BLUE EYESHADOW WITH RED LIPSTICK (eyesore...), tie-dye, belly button piercings, Keds, knee-high boots, and corduroy. I actually owned corduroy pants. AND WORE THEM.

Sorry, Brit, I had to do it. I will admit there was a solid year in the 90s where I thought you were cooler than sliced bread.

:)

Favorite outfits of the decade:
Ask me if I'd wear this if it was hanging in my closet right now. Go on then, ask!





Muffy looks a little too tan in this picture, and that is not Buster's regular shirt (yes, I know all the 
characters names...no comment). Other than that, style icons for sure!

I will say that socially, the 90's were a wonderful time. Pre-terrorist activities (that I know of), pre-economic downturn. The music was progressive, there was significant social acceptance, Arthur was on, and people were just happy. And that made me happy.



Not everything has to stay in the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment